A certified worker is a safe and productive worker
They want to know:
- Will an employer think it’s valuable to have this certification?
- Why is it an advantage for graduates to have wallet cards when looking for a job?
- Why it is so important to register for a program that INCLUDES wallet cards?
- Why do some schools downplay the importance of getting this certification?
Background Information – Here is some background information that helps to understand the importance of wallet card training.
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) is Ontario’s cornerstone legislation for workplace health and safety. The main purpose of the Act is to protect workers from health and safety hazards on the job.
- The Ministry of Labour (MoL) is responsible for enforcing the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and its regulations.
- MoL inspectors visit workplaces in response to complaints, injuries, and fatalities, or as part of proactive inspections.
- The OHSA gives MoL inspectors a number of enforcement tools to ensure compliance with health and safety requirements.
1. Will an employer think it’s valuable to have this certification?
- In today’s workplace, employers understand their responsibility to practice “due diligence”. This means that employers shall take “every precaution reasonable, in the circumstances, to protect the worker”.
- The employer must ensure its workers are competent and that they have received training to prevent accidents and injuries in their workplace.
- Employers now realize that accidents are more costly than the cost of ensuring their employees are trained to do the job safely.
- Certification of its employees is now not only considered a best practice, it is the law.
2. Why is it an advantage for graduates to have wallet cards when looking for a job?
- This will prepare the graduates to meet employers’ safety obligations as required by law and enforced by the Ministry of Labour.
- The wallet card is the document that confirms the employee has received the training. It is the document that is recorded in the employee’s file. It must be available to the Ministry of Labour during an audit or investigation.
- In addition, the employees must also carry these wallet cards to confirm that they have received the training.
- When the Ministry of Labour arrives on a work site, they can demand to see proof of training. The employee must be able to show this card when asked.
- The employer will be more interested in hiring a candidate who has wallet cards. It is an assurance that this candidate has the certification to do the job safely. Otherwise, the employer will have to send this employee to training programs that are only taught once in a while. This certification gives the graduates an edge when entering the workforce.
3. Why is it so important to register for a program that INCLUDES wallet cards?
- Wallet card courses are not easily available. When they are, you have to travel to the city where it’s given. This means costs for registration, travel and accommodation.
- There is a real saving for the student to take a heavy equipment training or truck driver program that has all the wallet cards build into the program.
- Each program has a list of the wallet cards and certificate courses that are included in the program. Having a wide range of wallet cards prepares graduates to meet employer’s workplace safety obligations as required by law by the Ministry of Labour.
- In addition, the graduate has an edge over many others applying for the same job. By having the certification, it will motivate the employer to choose the one with the wallet cards.
4. Why do some schools downplay the importance of getting this certification?
- The main reason other schools downplay the importance of wallet cards is because they do not offer them in their programs.
- There are no minimum standards set by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities to ensure these courses are part of the curriculum. This is completely voluntary.
- 5wti has made a commitment to remain current to industry standards and to workplace legislation. We know that when graduates seek employment and have the training and the certification, they will be more successful.
Including wallet cards in training programs is a huge investment. Schools have to take courses, develop the curriculum and prepare all the learning and teaching materials. We believe it’s worth the investment because it helps us meet our objectives…to ensure our graduates have the skills, knowledge and certification to meet industry demands.
Students researching schools must ask good questions. They need to know what wallet cards are included in their program. And if they are not part of the program, they need to consider how it will impact their job search.